|I. Operates lathes, boring machines, chamfer machines, band saws, grinder, milling machines and drill press to machine parts to specifications.
- Sets up machine.
- Reads blueprint and order to determine specifications.
- Retrieves appropriate parts to correctly set up machine such as appropriately sized chucks, center cores, boring bar, etc. Lifts chucks, boring bars, and center cores weighing up to 78 pounds onto machine at chest height.
- Adjusts machine. Sets stop guides. Adjusts speed, feed, taper, positioning and depth. Reads digital readout on machine to determine position, if available.
- Runs test pass above O.D. dimensions and below I.D. dimensions. Checks measurements such as inner and outer diameter with micrometers and/or calipers. Compares measurements to specifications. Adjusts machine closer to specifications. Repeats as necessary.
- Prepares part for machining.
- Retrieves correct part. Reads code on blueprint. Retrieves part with matching code and/or part number. Uses lift truck, if necessary.
- Chamfers inside edges of part, if necessary. Uses chamfer machine if necessary.
- Cuts to length and/or trims excess rubber off ends, if necessary.
- Loads part/stock in machine.
- Places mandrel in part, if necessary. Uses mandrel loader, if necessary.
- Places part or stock in machine. Lifts part up to 53 pounds onto machine. Uses hoist for heavier parts, if necessary. Positions part in machine. Positions cutter or boring bar to begin machining. Attaches vacuum hose, if available.
- Machines part.
- Starts machine. Places shield in front of blade, if necessary.
- Monitors part and machine while work is being done. Listens for sounds and vibrations that may indicate problem. Adjusts depth when diamond heats up, if necessary.
- Finishes part. Uses file to chamfer outside, if necessary. Uses sandpaper to reduce taper, if necessary. Rubs oil or wax onto part, if required.
- Cleans part. Uses brush or air nozzle to clean rubber dust from inside of part.
- Removes part.
- Removes part from machine. Uses hoist, if necessary.
- Removes mandrel, if necessary.
- Inspects finished parts.
- Visually inspects part for defects such as blister, scratches, lamination, etc.
- Uses micrometers, calipers, and guides to check the measurements of part. Compares to tolerances in specifications. Reworks part if it doesn't meet specifications.
- Checks concentricity. Uses indicator to check concentricity. Compares to specifications.
- Places finished part in appropriate container, if necessary.
- Places part in box.
- Uses grinder to sharpen tools, if necessary.
Performs work with others.
- Coordinates work as partner with other Machine Operators and Utility persons. Works as partner when performing “cell” job assignment.
- Assists/fills in for other Machine Operators as needed.
Completes required paperwork.
- Completes time sheet. Indicates job done by job code. Indicates amount of time spent (in tenths of hours) on each job.
- Completes Scrap Report. Indicates type of defect. Indicates if defect is due to machine error/operator error. Suggests how the defect might be avoided in the future.
- Completes withdrawal slips (metal preparation). Indicates amount of stock used. Writes beginning length and number of pieces.
- Completes tags indicating the part number, date and number of pieces.
Cleans\maintains work area.
- Sweeps up work area at end of shift.
- Returns tools to appropriate areas. Returns micrometers to stock room.
- Cleans/maintains machine. Uses air nozzle to clean chuck. Brushes filings off machine. Places filings in disposal container. Oils machine.
- Empties scrap and filings containers.
- Retrieves parts to be machined. Removes finished parts to staging area. Uses lift truck/tow motor, if necessary.
Trains new associates.
- Gives instructions on job tasks to trainee. Demonstrates appropriate methods to trainee. Demonstrates machine setup to trainee. Monitors trainees performance.
- Demonstrates use of tools to trainee. Demonstrates use of micrometers, indicators, and calipers.
Performs other work as assigned by supervisor or as needed.